CBD can have a therapeutic effect on the brain without causing hallucinations or the psychoactive effects that most people associate with the “high” from cannabis. Because of this, CBD has a lot of potential for therapeutic uses.
But before the scientific and medical communities can make definitive statements about the health benefits of CBD, they need more thorough and long-term research about the compound and how it affects the body and brain.
That said, there are indications that CBD has health benefits. For example:
- The endocannabinoid system, which regulates food intake and energy use, is often overactive in people who are overweight or who have type 2 diabetes.3
- CBD acts on receptors in the endocannabinoid system, which is the root of many of its possible therapeutic applications.4
Obesity and Insulin Resistance
Type 2 diabetes, the most common type of diabetes, is closely linked with being overweight. CBD may offer some significant help.
1. CBD and Weight Gain
CBD shows some promise in fighting weight gain and insulin resistance, both of which can increase the risk for diabetes.
A 2020 medical review found that CBD has the potential to affect a number of factors that contribute to the development of insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. These include the potential to reduce inflammation and alter glucose metabolism.
In turn, that can reduce the symptoms of:5
- Insulin resistance
- Type 2 diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome
2. Blood Sugar Control
When combined with a THC-based compound (the chief intoxicant in cannabis), CBD helped people with type 2 diabetes better control their blood sugar levels, according to a 2016 study that looked at blood sugar levels when fasting.3
The study found that CBD alone:
- Decreased resistin: A hormone that can contribute to insulin resistance.
- Increased glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide: A hormone that prompts the release of insulin.
This indicates that CBD could help with some of the hormonal imbalances that contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes.
3. Nerve Pain
Nerve damage, known as diabetic neuropathy, is a common complication from diabetes. Symptoms can include pain and burning sensations, especially in the hands and feet.
An animal study on rats found that CBD can increase the development of nerves and nervous tissue, possibly alleviating nerve pain.6
Although the effect CBD has on nerve pain hasn’t been studied in humans, rodent studies are considered an important indicator of what might be found in human studies.
4. Anxiety and Stress Management
For some people with diabetes, managing the illness causes stress and anxiety. In turn, stress and anxiety can worsen the symptoms of diabetes.
5. Stress and Diabetes
When the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline are released, they prompt the body to release glucagon, which can cause your blood sugar levels to rise.
Managing anxiety and stress can have a positive impact on the physical symptoms of diabetes.
Research shows that CBD can help relieve the symptoms of anxiety.4 People who struggle to control their blood sugar levels due to the hormonal effects of stress and anxiety might be helped by CBD.
CBD Can Help Other Conditions Related to Diabetes
Many people with diabetes have other health conditions as well, and CBD may help control the symptoms of those conditions. These include:
- Insomnia: CBD has been demonstrated to help treat insomnia, which is experienced by as many as half of the people with type 2 diabetes. Improving your sleep can help control your blood sugar levels, reducing the risk for complications from diabetes.7
- Chronic pain and inflammation: CBD has been shown to effectively treat chronic pain and reduce inflammation, both of which can reduce the quality of life for people with diabetes and accompanying conditions.2
- Blood pressure: CBD can reduce blood pressure and, in turn, reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, which people with diabetes are at increased risk for.
For more information, please feel free to call us anytime at Triple Crown Organics. Our direct number is 859-207-8683.
Triple Crown Organics
Helping People Live Life More Abundantly